Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

December 04, 2009

Dan's Internet Findings: The Art of BLU



Graffiti has always fascinated me. Whether it be some simple word on the side of a train, a piece in a seemingly impossible location, something with a message, or an elaborate time consuming and awe inspiring piece of art, graffiti constantly grabs my attention.

I must admit that graffiti done by people who have no talent can be annoying and I agree that most graffiti out there can be seen as an eyesore, but every once in awhile an artist comes along that takes graffiti to the next level and creates works of art rather than random scribblings. Most people not familiar with the graffiti world know who Bansky is today, especially people in the UK. I enjoy his work thoroughly. But another graffiti artist has caught my attention recently. He goes by the name BLU.



BLU incorporates the buildings and sites in which he creates on, like using a window as an eye or mouth. His works are usually mind-blowingly large and elaborate. I have no clue as to how he goes about painting these peices or if he ever has the OK from the owners of the property, but what I do know is that he is an extremely talented artist and I'm glad that he chooses to express himself in a way that the public can wittness. While some of his work is a bit disturbing, I would say that his work is not an eyesore. It in fact gives life to a seemingly bleak wall or factory.





You can check out more of his work at his website. Also below I have included a video project he has done with another artist named David Ellis which will blow your mind. I suggest going to the vimeo site for a larger video size. I wish I had as much artistic talent as these guys.

COMBO a collaborative animation by Blu and David Ellis (2 times loop) from blu on Vimeo.



0 comments:

Post a Comment