Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

June 07, 2010

Video Round-Up: All Cylinders Edition


Video Round-Up is a weekly post collecting an assortment of videos from around the web. Whether they be music videos, creative viral marketing, just plain cool, or just plain ridiculous, they will all be found on Video Round-Up.


This week, Cerebral Pop brings you songs that are too long for YouTube, mini-documentaries, cute-but-relevant satires, and optical illusions! (Actually, just one of each of those.) Let us peruse.



After becoming the worst oil spill in American history by far (and counting), even those who lean toward defeated political apathy like me are pissed off at BP for the Deepwater Horizon disaster. Fuck, people. Hurry up. Being made fun of is the least of BP's worries (or should be).





The trite title of this video brings back memories of one of the most famous viral videos ever: The Evolution of Dance. Aside from that, the Mario Paint meme still shines bright with this impressive collection of Nintendo music in chronological order. What's great is that, as the music gets more recent, and the quality of the source better, Mario Paint's SNES soundcard still pumps out 16-bit sound. It's quite weird by the end!



Super awesome.



I'm glad I remembered to come back to Steve Reich. I scroll through the same old videos of his music online, and it's minimalism is still awesome to me. I won't spend an iota of space here arguing why he is actually a genius. I'll only say that if you like the above video (part of the song "Drumming") then you are in a small way like me.



This is a great mini-documentary--I might not have called it that myself--about pixel art in games and beyond. Interviews with Passage's Jason Rohrer inside!

2 comments:

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

Awesome Round-Up as usual, Chris! I was fascinated until the end of all of the videos. In the Pixel documentary a brief painting entitled Kirby's Cupcake popped up by an Ashley Anderson. I have a friend from high school named that, and she was always an artist. I tried to figure out if it was her but that Ashley's flickr page didn't really tell me much about them. Anyway, that'd be cool if it was.

Chris Whitehead said...

Thanks! Yeah, if your friend was in that video, well, that'd be crazy!

Post a Comment