Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

January 05, 2011

Shuffled: Assorted Mix Edition

Every other Wednesday I hit the shuffle button on my 90 gigabytes of music and post the results. I might have to justify some of the stuff in my library, but hopefully it will help inform you of new music -- Or at least be entertaining.

I came up with some great tracks in this edition. One of them I couldn't even find a place to buy it online. Now that's obscure! Be sure to read my passion about Big D and the Kids as well as The Vines and take that as a hint to check them out. Seriously, both are great bands that might have flown under your radar or dropped off your radar far too soon.




Rise Against - The Strength to Go On
From Appeal to Reason
Buy the MP3 or the whole album.

This was actually the Rise Against CD that made me stop listening to Rise Against. They were always a bit poppy, so it wasn't really that, and I've never been one to care about a band getting popular. I guess I just grew tired of their formula.


Scott Allen and the Break Dance - Welcome Oblivious
From The Selfish Sweetness

I don't even remember where I got this CD. Scott Allen is a member of the Detroit dance-rock band Thunderbirds Are Now!, which is a stark contrast to the sound of his solo work. While TAN have a beat you can tap your foot to and songs titled "Better Safe than Safari", "To: Skulls", and "From: Skulls", Scott Allen and the Break Dance is a much more sad and introspective affair. It's a pretty good CD though, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you where you could buy it. It isn't on iTunes or Amazon, and Google searches for the band name turn up nothing but assorted MP3 sites that seem very fishy.


Big D and the Kids Table - Safe Haven
From How It Goes
Buy the MP3 or the whole album.

Big D and the Kids Table transcend the ska genre. A lot of people make jokes about ska, but while a lot of bands can be forgotten back in the 90s with the ska boom, Big D continually show that they will never fade away. They always reinvent themselves in interesting ways and I look forward to each new release to see where they will go. They are easily one of my favorite bands of all time. How it Goes is one of the best ska albums of all time. Safe Haven might not give you a good impression of the whole album, but it's a solid track, just like every other track on the CD. I like to think of it as an interlude between brilliance.

If ska isn't up your alley, check out their later releases where they started to experiment. I highly recommend their latest, Fluent in Stroll. It is one of the best summer records ever and instantly puts me in a great mood once warmer weather comes around.


The Vines - Merrygoround
From Melodia
Buy the album.

The Vines kind of got lost in the slew of "The" bands (The Strokes, The Hives, The White Stripes, etc.), but unlike The Strokes they easily maintained releasing quality albums after their hit. I didn't even realize they were still putting out albums until several years later, but catching up was a very pleasant experience.


Crash and the Boys - We Hate You Please Die
From Scott Pilgrim vs. The World Soundtrack
Buy the soundtrack

The Scott Pilgrim soundtrack was one of the best I've heard for a movie in a long time. My slight OCD tendencies cause me to become increasingly annoyed when I have a wealth of single tracks mixed throughout my iTunes library because of a soundtrack, but I made an exception for this one. Getting members of Broken Social Scene to create the fictional band of Crash and the Boys was a great move on Edgar Wright's part.

2 comments:

luis said...

The new podcast is awesome!

I enjoyed the sultry tones between the songs. is the next podcast gonna coincide with the next Shuffled post?

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

No, that episode you listened to will be posted officially on the site tomorrow as the new Shuffled post. You just got an early sneak peak, hah. I had to get it up well in advance so that I could get it through the iTunes review process. That takes a good week or so before they'll put it through to iTunes all legit like.

Post a Comment