Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

January 10, 2011

Video Round-Up: Handle With Care Edition

Video Round-Up is a weekly post collecting an assortment of videos from around the web. Whether they be music videos, creative viral marketing, just plain cool, or just plain ridiculous, they will all be found on Video Round-Up.

It isn't that I like bands who are more underground than others. It isn't that I want limited financial success for artists I enjoy. It's about jocking, a term I learned recently that describes the overwhelming hype that, if put in the hands of certain people--and the higher that number of certain people, the higher the chance of jocking--can be shoved in my face. Or yours. I want to enjoy my music in peace. If I hear a Katy Perry song on the radio and like it, I have to accept that she is hyper famous and that I must enjoy that song with everyone who has cable and listens to Top 40 even a little bit. She is the New York City to Buke and Gass' Athens, Georgia: one huge, one small. So, with my admonition that you enjoy this music at your own pace, or hate it completely (either option is fine by me), here are some songs from last year that I like very much.


Buke and Gass are a two-person team, Arone and Aron, who play a modified baritone ukulele and a built-from-scratch guitar-bass hybrid, respectively. Each also plays a bit of percussion, which is an element this band could not do without. Their songwriting is so fresh to me because while their instruments suggest an indie bohemian quality (which they may very well have), the music is gritty, loud, and syncopated to the moon and back. Their album, Riposte, is full of energy, and a super duper purchase.


I ignored the Local Natives until I saw this song performed on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last week. Not only is the studio version excellent, but the live performance featured several percussion breaks, where the drummer keeps hitting his drums while the lead singer turns to his own tom and starts wailing. I'm a sucker for this kind of physical energy at a live show, where musicians and fans feel so intensely that the song shouldn't end, so they return to musical roots and just beat on shit for minutes. However, I don't know much about this band. Yet I do really like this song.


I learned about Sleigh Bells' debut album, Treats, through all the attention it got on NPR's music website. (By the way, I know I've already gone against what I said above: these artists are featured by a national news site, or perform on broadcast television. The artist below is the most famous of all. Still, these aren't bands you typically overhear passersby talking about.) The loudness that Buke and Gass create with live instruments can be similarly seen here, only much louder, and with the help of computers. Sleigh Bells combine drums and guitar that are clearly a fraction of a decibel away from destroying your speakers with the relaxed, feminine voice of their singer. The combination works, and I can't stop dancing to songs like this one.


I've been a big fan of Sufjan Stevens since Illinois, but I've never heard an album like his newest, The Age of Adz--from him or anyone else. It's incredible. "Too Much" features the album's regular features: vocal harmonies, electronic bleeps, and hyperactive lunatic percussion. Fantastic.

3 comments:

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

They played Buke & Gass on the end of the year wrap-up show for All Songs Considered, so your intro is completely blown, haha. Excellent choices though. I don't let popularity dissuade me from liking good music.

Chris Whitehead said...

You didn't read the whole blog :(

I don't let popularity affect me either. Like I said, I like some Top 40 stuff. Popularity per se doesn't bother me. Just people who sully good music with too much hype. Or, say, a person who learns about Sleigh Bells from this blog, then immediately uses that knowledge to pretentiously look down on someone because, oh my god you -seriously- don't know them? Or, on the other hand, people who don't give good but lesser-known music a fair listen -because- it's not popular. I'm just sensitive.

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

No, I mostly got that. I was just saying what my practice was. You're completely right about stupid people liking something that is awesome. The last Against Me concert I went to was filled with bitchy 15 year old girls that stood with they arms folded through World/Inferno Friendship Society and Cobra Skulls, and then whined, complained, and threw elbows once Against Me got the crowd moving. That was a lot of bullshit.

Post a Comment