Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

April 07, 2010

March Music Wrap-Up

The Music Wrap-Up is a monthly summary of my favorite and other notable new releases. The songs are for sampling purposes only. Artists or labels notify me with any complaints and I will remove the song as soon as possible. Please support these musicians as that's the reason I'm featuring them in the first place.

There was so much wonderful music this month, and it's all over the board. Whether you want the soulful stylings of the adorable Zooey Deschanel, the upbeat ska of Streetlight Manifesto, the crazy antics of Liars, or the calm, soothing beats of Bonobo, you're set. And I'm not even going to mention Broken Bells, Jonsi Birgisson (from Sigur Ros), Jaguar Love, Small Brown Bike and the live albums from bands like Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, and The Weakerthans!

And while I'm not mentioning things, I just listened to NPR's All Songs Considered Spring Music Preview today, and there is plenty more great music coming out that I didn't even know know about. Stars is putting out a new CD this year?! I LOVE STARS! So click the link below, enjoy some amazing music, and stay tuned to Cerebral Pop's Music Wrap-Up all summer long so that you won't miss out. Give all the music a chance! You might just like each and every selection, I sure do.

Scroll right to the bottom for the playlist if you want to listen to each and every Wrap-Up song without worrying about clicking play all the time.

She & Him - Volume Two

I think I'm a bigger fan of the first CD put out by M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel's She & Him. Still, this one is really growing on me. I've picked out an upbeat song, and a slow one. I particularly like the harmonies on the slow one, but then, I'm a sucker for any sort of choir in songs, even that of Faith No More's Just A Man.

Don't Look Back


If You Can't Sleep



Jònsi - Go

I loved past Sigur Ros releases, but their most recent would most likely be the one I'd recommend to new listeners. Accessible is a pretty over-used word, but it is fitting, and it is for Jònsi's solo CD as well. I'm not even really sure why this isn't a Sigur Ros album, but I won't complain about that too much. A lot of times, solo releases become boring upon multiple playthroughs, but there is no worry of that here.

Go


Tornado



Liars - Sisterworld

I may be the only Liars fan that has liked each and every one of their albums. They've gone from goofy-dance-rock, to creepy-ambient-concept-albums, and now a sort of mix of the latter with more rock thrown in. This release is most similar to their previous, self-titled CD, so if you enjoyed that one, you should like Sisterworld as well.

Scissor


No Barrier Fun



Jaguar Love - Hologram Jams

If you were a fan of Blood Brothers, you probably listened to Johnny Whitney's side project, Neon Blonde. It was a fun dancey type of sound with Johnny's trademark high-pitched screeches and lots of synthesizers, and when Blood Brothers broke up, I cross my fingers for more. But instead, Johnny started Jaguar Love, and it wasn't exactly the same. But now, on their second release, it sort of is. The band is down to two members, and is much more danceable than ever before. Plus, they did a killer cover of Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart.

Polaroids and Red Wine


Piece of My Heart (Janis Joplin Cover)



Broken Bells

I don't think anybody expected this type of sound when they heard about a collaboration between Danger Mouse and the Shins singer James Mercer. It is great, calming, background music, or great sing-along, look-like-a-fool-in-your-car music.

The High Road


Vaporize



Bonobo - Black Sands

I'd never heard of Bonobo -- the stage name of Simon Green, a British DJ -- until fellow Cerebral Pop contributor Dan, posted the song Black Sands on his Facebook. I absolutely loved it. Very soothing music to put on anytime you need to relax.

Black Sands


Kong



Streetlight Manifesto - 99 Songs of a Revolution

Streetlight Manifesto is one of two ska bands still playing today that you should care about (the other being Big D and the Kids Table). Formed by Tomas Kalnoky, former frontman of Catch22, they bare a striking resemblance to that bands first CD, Keasbey Nights -- in fact, they remade it. There is no way to listen to a Streetlight album and not feel happy. They are fast and upbeat, and Kalnoky spits out encouraging lyrics faster than you can blink. Just do yourself a favor and go see them live. It's an amazing show.

99 Songs of a Revolution is a collection of 11 cover songs, that work well, for the most part. I won't argue it is the best Streetlight Manifesto yet, but it is equally as fun as past releases.

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard (Paul Simon Cover)


Punk Rock Girl



Small Brown Bike - Composite Vol. Two

Michigan locals, made it big, then broke up, now back together. One of the main members and his wife have been playing in a band called LaSalle which I saw open for Paper Chase last year. They were pretty good, but I'm more excited that Small Brown Bike is back together. Though, my favorite CD of theirs is My Own Wars, which was much heavier than what they were when they broke up, but the two little 7 inches they've released so far are pretty good. And, no matter what their new music sounds like, it'll give me the opportunity to finally see them live.

Some Optimistic



Dropkick Murphys - Live on Lansdowne, Boston MA

And finally, there were a bunch of live albums to come out this month, the first of which being from Dropkick Murphys. I was going to go see them awhile back, but I stupidly went off a ramp when sledding and bruised my tailbone... the night before my wedding shower. But my friend went, and raved about how amazing it was, and gave me the setlist as some sort of consulation.

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya



Flogging Molly - Live at the Greek Theatre

I've seen Flogging Molly a couple of times, and they are always amazing. They are definitely my favorite punk-infused celtic band. They sound the most authentic, and they've got a much better track record for putting out great songs than bands like Dropkick Murphys.

Drunken Lullabies



The Weakerthans - Live at the Burton Cummings Theatre

I don't listen to Weakerthans very much, but I've always enjoyed their music. It could just be that I am obsessive about Propagandhi, and can't dislike anything a former member of that band does, but it is probably more because they are a really great band. The lyrics have always been what I like most. Somehow they're both very simple, and insightful.

Tournament of Hearts



The Whole Playlist

Don't feel like clicking play so much? Well this is your answer. Just hit play here and go about your Internet surfing in another window. Come back when the song switches to see what you're listening to, and read my descriptions if you want. Nice and easy. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment