Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

April 16, 2009

New Mars Volta Album, Octahedron, Due June 23rd



Before this blog was created there was a forum. And this forum was made by dedicated Mars Volta fans who wanted to keep low key. They soon became a close knit unit of fans. Blog creator and contributor Alex then posed the idea to create a blog with the forum members as contributors and thus RTGMediphiles was born. So it is with honor that I create the first Mars Volta related topic.


The music website Pitchfork.com has reported that their new album entitled Octahedron will be out June 23rd this year. It will be at a length of 49 minutes, which is a bit short for Mars Volta standards. Jeff Jordan, who had done the artwork for their albums Amputechture and Bedlam in Goliath previously, will be doing the artwork for Octahedron. And no the title picture is not from the album. The album will contain 8 tracks, hence Octahedron, which I have listed below. I'm sure there is more to the title than just how many songs are on the album. I'm guessing the number 8 must fit into the story of the album if it is indeed a concept album like most all their previous albums. I have to say that I am extremely excited for this new album. Anything they put out gets me excited regardless but their most recent album Bedlam in Goliath left me a little empty. I loved the album, but it didn't do what De Loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute did for me. Amputechture was a good departure from both De Loused and Frances, but I wasn't expecting them to keep departing in that fasion. Although I still dig it, it isn't their best work. I am excited to see where they will go on this new album.

The first song off of Octahedron, entitled Since We've Been Wrong, can be listened via YouTube by going here. It is a live version from their new years eve show in 2007. A friend of mine was at the show, but he missed a couple acoustic songs and this was one of them. I like this song a lot. I wonder if it will be in acoustic fashion on the album or not.

Here are the track lists:


1. Since We've Been Wrong
2. Teflon
3. Halo of Nembutals
4. With Twilight as My Guide
5. Cotopaxi
6. Desperate Graves
7. Copernicus
8. Luciforms


So, thoughts on Since We've Been Wrong or the new album in general?


5 comments:

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

49 minutes?!?! That should be an EP for mars volta! I wonder if that whole slower thing is going to be true. Maybe the whole thing will be more slow moody songs, or even acoustic like the one song we've heard so far might be. Bedlam didn't do it for you?? Man, that was probably my second favorite. Frances, Bedlam, Deloused, then Amputechture. I'm kind of wary of this new one though. I feel like its either going to be a big divergence like Frances was and be amazing, or fall completely flat like Amp. We'll see.

aliar said...

i'm going to have to agree with the poster's sentiments towards the albums. as great as it's been it's not an ever going emotional battle like it used to be. i have not been truly thrown into a coma from music since frances the mute or maybe the daft punk show.

in all it's been a long time. but as always i will be buying the album. can't wait to hear what they have to say with their magic noise machines.

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Bedlam, but it just wasn't up to par with their previous albums. A lot of crazyness and not a lot of soul

Anonymous said...

If this is a blog where is the forum?

Anonymous said...

I think Bedlam is my absolute favorite... The album is downright horrofying. Listening to the record in "psychadelic" states of mind is a must if you're into that sort of thing. TMV went to extra lengths by topping off each cathrtic track with plenty of ear candy and sonic ambience to give it that posessed feel. It wasn't really until the fourth or fifth listen when I cracked the surface of this recording. Stick with it and you'll find plenty of haunting soul in there. I found the closest thing to a religious experience. Ha, no joke.

Post a Comment