Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

July 31, 2009

Trailer Park: August



Trailer Park is a monthly post where we feature trailers for the upcoming months movie releases.


The final month of the summer blockbuster season is here. Come next month we'll be neck deep in indie flicks and crap movies that weren't good enough for the summer. For now we end the summer season with a couple more amazing blockbusters (hopefully) in Inglourious Basterds and District 9, a crap movie that apparently WAS good enough for the summer in G.I. Joe, and a whole slew of other stuff. So let's get into it.


The 7th


G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra




I feel sorry for people that grew up watching GI Joe. It must be hard watching their childhood milked for everything it's worth. I was a Ninja Turtles fan, so I didn't have to deal with that at all.


Paper Heart




I can't decide whether I really want to see this, or couldn't care less about it. It'll probably at least interest my wife and maybe be one of the very few movies I get her to go see with me.


Cold Souls




I mentioned this movie previously in my Synecdoche post. Mainly that it was Kaufman-esque, but a lot of people are saying it comes way too close to being a Kaufman film. There is a reason I like Charlie Kaufman though, and if this movie is like his movies then I will probably love it just like I loved Stranger Than Fiction.


Other Releases:
Julie & Julia
A Perfect Getaway
I Sell The Dead



The 14th


District 9




Oh man I hope this movie is as amazing as I've hyped myself up to believing it is.


Other Releases:
Bandslam
The Time Travelers Wife
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
Ponyo
Taxidermia
Spread
It Might Get Loud



The 21st


Inglourious Basterds




I think I still trust Tarantino, though I almost fell asleep watching the girls in Death Proof gab about the guys they liked. Still, I have high hopes for Inglourious Basterds. And to sweeten the pot its out on Avatar Day, a day in which 15 minutes of James Cameron's Avatar will be shown for free in all IMAX 3D and other select 3D theaters around the world. So make yourself a little day of movie experiences. Unfortunately I have to go to a wedding. Laaaaame.


World's Greatest Dad




This may be the first Robin Williams movie in years that actually looks interesting. Although considering what they didn't put in the trailer that I already know, I'm worried I might have had the movie spoiled already. Either way, it looks like a good dark comedy.


Other Releases:
Shorts
Post Grad
The Baader Meinhof Complex
Casi Divas
My One and Only
X-Games 3D: The Movie



The 28th


Taking Woodstock




I would apologize for putting a clip with an intro but Demetri Martin is hilarious and it was all I could find embeddable. I kind of like this sticking real clips of historical events into the movie to make it all blend together. Looks pretty interesting.


Big Fan




Seems like the writer of The Wrestler has come up with another great sports drama. I'm glad to see more movies like this instead of all the cookie cutter sports movies about the underdog who comes through in the end or whatever.


Other Releases:
The Final Destination
Halloween II
The September Issue
Still Walking

5 comments:

luis said...

i cannot wait to see Paper Heart and Cold Souls! emphasis on Cold Souls.

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

I'm more eager to see (500) Days of Summer then I am Paper Heart, and I highly doubt I could get Zoe to see both so I probably won't be seeing Paper Heart. It'd be weird to go with a guy friend or by myself I think.

luis said...

(500) is an amazing film! you two should have fun watching it

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

hah, you just calling it (500) made me think of 300. So I should like it then right? I mean, I liked 300. And this is 200 better then that.

aliar said...

GI JOE
I was also a ninja turtle freak. But I did have hundreds of little GIJOES that were buried by another young fellow. I can't wait to meet that kid again.

Paper Heart
I love Michael Cera. And fake documentaries seem hard to pull off. I'd like to see how they go about doing it.

Cold Souls
Also I love Paul Giamatti. This reminded me of Vanilla Sky, where some made up technology for bettering your life is used to create a story. The creation of soul trafficking is a humorous way to get the story around the world.

District 9
This is a whole new approach to alien media in my mind. They have always been 1) attacking earth 2) in a galaxy far far away. It is an angle that very well could happen if an alien race were to visit. I am left wondering what some people would do just to learn what the aliens are capable of.

Inglorious bastards
Is killing Hitler the new thing? Brad Pitt seems to be giving another great performance though.

World Greatest Dad
Where has Robin Williams gone to these days? He's been a favourite since Hook and a slew of movies since.

Woodstock
Real clips was used in Forest Gump, definitely worked there. Looks like it will work here too.

Big Fan
Another preview with intense music. But yeah, no more underdogs winning, please. I've always been a fan of movies where someone is slightly crazy or 'sick'. Could be a good one.

Post a Comment