Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

February 01, 2010

Book Ruminations: The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac


During my adolescent years, I regarded books as something that "got in the way of video games." As I matured, and as adulthood approached, I realized my folly and began devouring as many books as I possibly could. This is not a review, but merely my thoughts and musings whilst reading The Dharma Bums.

I've traveled up and down the west coast many times in my life, which is important to note, I think, because The Dharma Bums chronicles the real life adventures of Jack Kerouac; someone who also traveled to many different places, most of which happen to take place on the west coast (at least in this book).

It helped the book become relatable, as I either knew of or had been to the places Kerouac wrote about. Perhaps this is one of the main reasons I enjoyed Kerouac's book. Or perhaps Kerouac just led an interesting life, I'm not quite sure.

What I find intriguing about Kerouac's work is he wrote in a very unique style. He coined it "spontaneous prose," a term that speaks for itself. Imagine reading a book filled with run-on sentences, combined words, and a general disregard for the rules of grammar, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how Kerouac wrote.

Still, this doesn't make it a poorly written book; on the contrary, I believe this style helped capture my attention, forced me to change the way I read a book. It has a certain rythm to the way you read it, and if you try to read Kerouac's work like any other book, you'll be sorely disappointed. Go with the flow, follow the leads, and just read. Once you have the rythm in your head, it's hard to shake it.

I was ill a few weeks ago, and whilst reading this book at 2 a.m., I felt as if my mind was traveling faster then the rest of my body. I could hardly sleep. When I did sleep, my mind was constantly on the story of The Dharma Bums, imagining myself there with the characters.

It wasn't a pleasant experience; although now reflecting on it, I wish I were back there, indulging Kerouac's work for the first time. Such are the reflections upon many great authors, I suppose.

I hope I haven't bored any of you too much, as I plan on going more in-depth next time when we continue discussing The Dharma Bums.

2 comments:

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

I really should read more. I tend to go through phases specific to a form of media though. Currently I'm big on music again, which means far less video game, movie, or book consumption.

I'll be interested to hear more about this book. You just sort of teased it here.

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

I love reading with a passion. And I'm one of those people who have to own every book that im interested in reading. I never go to the library unless it's for class or something.

Post a Comment