Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

May 31, 2010

Summer Tunes



I can't speak for the whole continent, but I'm feeling a lot of good energy from the folkier side of the music spectrum. Music by Horse Feathers, Emily Jane White, Tallest Man on Earth, and just about anything you`d see on LA BLOGOTHEQUE has been really keeping me smiling, my head tapping, and my heart rolling.

But I'm not being too picky either. Music by Mux Mool and Black Moth Super Rainbow have also been on all of my playlists. I'd suggest songs but I don't even know the names of them. The whole albums are easy to listen to from start to end.

Here's a few examples of what`s keeping me interested:



The Tallest Man on Earth is on repeat around the bonfires. Find a friend who can sing with a guitar and pay him to jam this out if you have to. Good night guarantee.


This isn`t exactly folk, or new, but I`ve only recently found the 60's/70's. The Velvet Underground are really catching me as a great band that I should have known about maybe 10 years ago. Janis Joplin and Mr Jimi Hendrix can also be added to that list that I'm way, way too behind on.


I'm finally becoming comfortable with anything slightly hip-hopish. I was dancing at 5am to a DJ who suddenly put on some hip-hop music when I caught myself unable to keep up. Maybe it was the 5am speaking, or my non-rhythmic self, but I want to be able to groove to anything. I don't like being one of those NO RAP MUSIC PLZ type people. I love the Beastie Boys, maybe there's something else out there that I'll love. If anyone has any suggestions, please lay them on me.

NOTE: Super stoked for new Arcade Fire coming out August 3rd. I can't really word the excitement past "super stoked", but it's much, much more. They are a really inspirational band for me, and new material to change my life is always welcome.

1 comments:

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

Well, I'm pretty sure you know about Saul Williams already. Other than that I don't have much rap suggestions. MC Chris counts as rap, though he might not be what you're looking for. One of my favorite comedy podcasts has had this guy Ashkon on a couple times and I found him to be pretty good. Here's a song of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2dawzpn3M

Also, Velvet Underground is a wonderful band. Many argue that they were the first punk band.

Post a Comment