Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

July 07, 2010

Shuffled: German Edition

Every other Wednesday I hit the shuffle button on my 90 gigabytes of music and post the results. I might have to justify some of the stuff in my library, but hopefully it will help inform you of new music -- Or at least be entertaining.

With each edition of Shuffled, I realize more and more that there is a lot of music in my collection that I never listen to. It's a good thing shuffle exists. Let the Gods of randomness decide my fate, and by extension yours if you're listening to this.

This week we start off with three selections that I completely forgot were in my library, and then close it out with two of my favorite bands ever, that, strangely, are pretty similar. Is iTunes shuffle smarter than we thought? Well, if this feature teaches us nothing else than that, it'll totally be worth it.





#1 - Atari Teenage Riot - Delete Yourself (Live) - from Delete Yourself


I've forgotten now where I originally heard about Atari Teenage Riot, and that's probably because I've quickly grown out of them. They have an interesting sound, but they're just a little too angry and filled with angst for me now.

#2 - Klaxons - Forgotten Works - from Myths of the Near Future


Honestly, Klaxons' CD is one of the many that didn't immediately grab my attention and I never returned to it to see if it'd grow on me. So, I'll get to that sometime soon. Until then, I can't really write much more about them.

#3 - The Foamers - All I Hear is Oi - from Six Pints None the Wiser


The Foamers are one of the many bands tangentially related to Choking Victim/Leftover Crack, and thus the entire reason I gave them a listen. I am constantly on the look out for more bands that sound like those two, but sadly, Foamers don't quite cut it. Still, they were a pretty good punk band with some ska elements.

#4 - The World/Inferno Friendship Society - I Remember the Weimar (Ich Errinere Mich An Weimer) - from East Coast Super Sound Punk of Today!


World/Inferno is one of my favorite bands. This song is off of the first CD of theirs I ever heard; Their East Coast Supersound Punk of Today! EP, that I saved up Pepsi Points to purchase back when things like that existed. If you've never heard the band before, I'd probably recommend Red-Eyed Soul first. Also, this song was remade for their latest release, Addicted to Bad Ideas.

#5 - Devotchka - Such A Lovely Thing - from How it Ends


Devotchka is like a grown-up Gogol Bordello. If you've never heard of them, don't feel bad -- NPR has called them the best band that no one knows about. I would recommend picking up How It Ends, it's a great album and you might recognize some of the songs if you saw that indie darling movie, Little Miss Sunshine.

1 comments:

Lance Darnell said...

Nice tunes!

I have been behind on the music scene for so long, but these posts really help me feel caught up!

Post a Comment