Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

December 13, 2010

Video Round-Up: Best of 2010 Edition, Part 2

 Video Round-Up is a weekly post collecting an assortment of videos from around the web. Whether they be music videos, creative viral marketing, just plain cool, or just plain ridiculous, they will all be found on Video Round-Up.

Continuing the end-of-the-year retrospective, here are four of my favorite videos of the year that we featured on Cerebral Pop. There might also be a bonus.




Years after first finding this video, I still enjoy it. There is so much to see, so many different animations to keep viewers visually occupied while listening to an unstoppable Sigur Ros tune. It's the kind of music video I would like to see performed live. (Originally featured here.)



"I hope I get to promote this band further in the future," said a younger me on the post that originally featured this video. And I'm happy to continue promotion. Earlier this year I purchased their remix EP, My Eyes, They're Called the Earth, and I have devoured it. Listening to this video, I'm not sure it is a strong example of their music, but I'm happy to link it again.



I'm a huge fan of post-rock. I'm a cursory but eager fan of Carl Sagan. Combining emotionally engaging speeches about humanity's insignificance and Mogwai has potential to be campy. But I love it; call me gullible if you like. The music, speech, and video would all be inspiring separately, but together it makes an unforgettable piece of media. (Originally featured here.)



This video justified my look back through the archives. Truly amazing. The historical references are sometimes lost on me, but the talent is not. I normally like X-Factor-type shows in theory more than I do in practice, but this rare skill with sand art is perfect for such an outlet. I'm enjoying it again now. (Originally featured here.)

Bonus:


I couldn't help but include this video. Old-school Billy Joel meets World of Warcraft meets complicated choreography. My first watch, it took a second to notice the timed lyrics, and once I got it, it was great fun to watch. The WoW world is endearing to me already, so maybe that helps my liking of it. But isn't it impressive?

0 comments:

Post a Comment