Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

June 09, 2011

Music Review: The Donkeys' Born With Stripes


After my initial listen, The Donkey's newest album, Born With Stripes, didn't really connect with me. It was good, sure, but that's all. Then, on a warm weekend day as I was changing the brakes on my car and my kid was playing in her sandbox with the album as our soundtrack, it clicked on a whole new level. A few bands have had a similar feel lately -- one that makes me think I should be listening in a rocking chair on the front porch of a house on a hot summer day -- but The Donkeys encapsulate it perfectly.

Born With Stripes isn't entirely laid back country/blues, though. The album throws a few curve balls in there, like the upbeat title track, the spacey 'Kaleidoscope', the two 'Raga' songs with their seemingly Indian influences, which helps to break things up a bit. My only real problem is that the album doesn't really flow very well.

Most of the time I put it on I tend to gravitate toward one song or another and don't always take in the whole album at once. Still, each track is good and if they'd just stuck to one set sound I probably would say that it got boring toward the end, so I really can't fault them too much for mixing it up a bit. Overall it's easily worth your time.


Here are a few sample tracks to help wet your whistle:



0 comments:

Post a Comment