Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

June 21, 2011

The Great DC Superhero Reboot


If you're not an avid comic reader you probably have no idea what's going on in New York at the DC Comics Headquarters. But whether you read comics or not and don't know about the ruckus DC stirred up a few weeks ago, I'll quickly summarize.

DC Comics announced their decision to renumber their entire line of comics. A landmark 52 first issues starting at the end of August 2011. Along with the new first issues comes drastic changes to the history and canon of a majority of the DC characters, including younger looking superheroes and even some old faces returning to their infamous cowls.

The Internet and comic book community has been ablaze since this announcement. Many with very passionate opinions against the decision and some with passionate opinions for it. But as I've been following these developments and seeing the different reactions, I started to think about what wasn't being said or spoken about. Although trust me, I could rant for days about it, I wanted to focus on the big question on my mind; why?


Like any other area of entertainment, there's a never-ending struggle to stay relevant in the comic world. As a generation of fans gets older, these mediums are required to adapt and always look to grab younger generations of fans to stay alive. In fact, now more than ever, it feels like comics are struggling to stay alive while seeing their biggest jump in popularity. Major film studios have been releasing comic book movies left and right, but has this helped or hurt the comic book industry?

These characters are getting a good dose of notoriety but at the same time these movies, in most cases, pull people farther away from actually reading a comic book. Why would a generation of people who seem to avoid reading like the plague bother with a book when they can just get the story via film? Not to mention, the rich stories within these comics are being lost to those who choose to skip the comic store in lieu of a dark movie theater.

What then can these companies do to get people reading their comics for this generation and the next? In my opinion, whatever it is, it looks like DC has decided to at least try and find a solution. Even if you absolutely hate the idea of 52 new first issues, there are a few positive things that can't be denied. First and foremost, we're going to be getting a lot of new stories! The artist can be phenomenal but if the story isn't there then a comic can't succeed.

There are some new and interesting creative pairings that I, for one, am looking forward to. DC has even decided to take on completely new character stories like Red Hood and The Outlaws, and Suicide Squad (a group made up of super villains!). I know I will be at the store this September to pick up as many of these first issues as I can to see what interesting and new characters and stories I'll be following. And I feel that is the main purpose of this grand renumbering; sales. I'm definitely one to do my comic shopping online, at Amazon and other sites. I don't buy, "floppies", or single issues. I only buy TPB (Trade Paperbacks) or hardcover collector editions, but this has changed, first with DC's Flashpoint event and it looks to become a new ritual in my comic shopping.

But most importantly is...the kids. I'm 26 and I don't see myself giving up comics any time soon, but the young readers play the most important role in the industry. Seeing as most people would be intimidated hearing that Batman #711 came out last week, I truly think the renumbering will bring about a lot of new readers. I mean, who wants to start reading a novel on some random chapter towards the middle of the book? The average 13/14 year old is definitely more inclined to jump into a comic five issues in rather than, say 65 or 500! And that is exactly where DC and the entire industry needs to focus their efforts right now. Staying relevant and always striving to gain more and new readers, of all ages.


Look out for all the DC new first issues in stores this September. You can also follow the current major DC event Flashpoint in stores now. And if you'd like to be up-to-date on upcoming DC news check out their blog, The Source.

P.S. I've never been a big Birds of Prey fan but I am a big Batman fanboy. And there's one decision that really doesn't sit well with me, but what's done is done. Barbara Gordon as The Oracle will sorely be missed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment