Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

February 23, 2009

Upcoming 2009 Movie Trailers






Last year there weren't nearly as many movies for us to sink our teeth into as a result of the writers strike. It remains to be seen if this year will pan out the same way, but from the looks of it there are already numerous movies that I can't wait for. Here's a collection of trailers for upcoming films that I hope are amazing. I'll leave the big ones out of it. We all know about Terminator, Watchmen, X-Men Origins and all of those.


Tokyo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1qzGPOXjQk

I have no clue what this one is about but that trailer certainly tickles my fancy. Michel Gondry is a brilliant director, I'm not familiar with the other two but he's reason enough to give this movie a shot.

Gigantic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rngoGb00Rto

I seem to remember talk of this movie coming out of the film festivals was only so so, and it does look like its going to be a typical romantic comedy structure, but its got three things going for it that have me sold. 1. Paul Dano. All it took was Little Miss Sunshine and There Will Be Blood for everyone to start watching this guy for what comes next. I don't know if his acting in this will amaze, but he's definitely a great actor no matter what he's in. 2. Zooey Deschanel. I'm not sure how great her acting really is but she's a beautiful singer in She & Him and cute as a button. Hopefully my wife doesn't read that. 3. Zach Galifianakis plays a creepy bum who is constantly in the background staring at Paul Dano for no reason. I love that premise. Keep an eye out for a brief glimpse of him in the trailer.

500 Days of Summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWbbf4qLDtE

This trailer is pretty bad, but the buzz for this coming out of Sundance is very positive and well... read the Gigantic description for more on why I want to see this. The next Little Miss Sunshine or Juno? We'll see.

Inglourious Basterds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pel3GE97evA

Just the name Tarantino will make people flock to theaters for this. I just hope the dialogue isn't as coma inducing as Death Proof's. Typing those words with those spellings makes me cringe.

S. Darko


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOI-fxVG7sA


A straight to dvd sequel to Donnie Darko? This will probably be bad, still, I can't shake the excitement for it. Hopefully it won't dissapoint too badly.


The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYXNk-qZAs

I've seen very few of Gilliam's films apart from the Monty Python related ones, but this teaser still manages to make me excited. Of course the majority of attention that it gets will be from people looking to see Heath Ledger's truly final performance.


3 comments:

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

Dude you should totally take S. Darko off this list. It is going to be one of the worst piece of crap movies to come out in awhile. No offense to your list or anything. I also have a bunch more if you would like to add to the list at all.

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

Yeah I had more, I just didn't want it to be super long. And I couldn't find trailers yet for a lot of them.

ATC 1982 said...

I think I give Inglourious Bastards 3 out of 5 pickles for your choice. How ever I think the rest of your selection is really good.

Post a Comment