Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

March 22, 2009

Bumpin' 'n' Grindin'



I just now realized upon viewing that cover enlarged what the fist is made out of.

I'll just start this out with, why MSTRKRFT?!?! Why!?!?

Their new cd, Fist of God, has been overtaken by songs featuring other artists. The thing is, I can't seem to shake the feeling that it sounds much more like that particular artist is featuring MSTRKRFT on the song. I suppose that has something to do with the fact that a band that is nothing more then samples and electronic music is something that would usually just be written as the background for some other artist, and I guess you can't really climb the music industry ladder with that.

Still, I get the feeling that the artists featured on this release (Lil' Mo, N.O.R.E., John Legend, Ghostface Killah and more) are not the singers that fans of MSTRKRFT would know or care about. Whether they followed along after the demise of Death from Above 1979, or find out about them as a tribute to Kraftwerk, I doubt Ghostface Killah is also on their mp3 players. So why invite a bunch of hip hop, r&b, and rap artists to do vocals for your electronica cd? You want to get play in clubs.

I'm alright with it I suppose. I just miss Death from Above 1979, and you can't turn back time. Still, I could do with a little less callouts in my music. I'm well aware of the fact that I'm listening to MSTRKRFT, but thanks for reminding me. I made a compilation of all the calling out of names on the cd for your listening displeasure.




5 comments:

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

Can you post the song with ghostface on it? I love him

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

Its the third one in my callout mp3. I would post it in my next musical samplings but his contribution is literally just him saying like 4 things and them sampling them over and over. Maybe I'll put it up with another song as well.

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

Oh ok so he's not rapping or anything. You don't gotta go through the effort.

aliar said...

I miss death from above as well. They definitely have the intensity mixed with rhythm that is missing from my life.

ATC 1982 said...

I listened to this just now while eating. Laughed so hard I sneezed and it kinda looked like a yellow pickle. No I didn't eat it either.

Post a Comment