Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

March 01, 2009

Question: Does Lily Allen suck?


























I'm confused. I'm not even sure where Lily Allen came from. All I had seen or heard of her was from ads on myspace, not exactly the mecca of good music recommendations, so I assumed she was another Duffy or Katy Perry. Then they played her on All Songs Considered and my confusion began.

I really liked what I heard, but does this mean it is socially acceptable to like her and still remain "hip"? Is she my guilty pleasure? A result of my wife's musical tastes slowly seeping in? The thing is, I don't think my wife would even like her. That's probably a result of her lyrics often leaning toward profanity or sex, she's not big on that. And while normally I think I would groan at any band who used the words "F*ck you, f*ck you very very much" in a song, somehow I'm alright with it here. Is this some sort of clever plot to rope in people who normally abhor pop music? Has it worked? Was I roped in?

Maybe I wouldn't have noticed, but I've also been listening to Propagandhi lately and when I switch between the two something feels wrong. It's like when I go to McDonalds and order a southern chicken sandwich with extra pickles and a double cheeseburger with no pickles. I only like pickles in specific scenarios, and on a burger is not one of those. I feel as though pop music is like pickles for me, but its like she's playing games with me. Songs like "Not Fair" or "Back to the Start" are great and I feel no shame in liking them, but then there comes a song like "Never Gonna Happen" and I'm forced to question whether or not it's good. I mean I still love that song, but it is so glaringly a pickle. It makes me question whether or not I really want to be eating it.

In the end, I think I'm OK with admitting I really like her cd, which is apparently her second. Wasn't it acceptable for indie types to like Amy Winehouse when she came about? I never jumped on that train, but we all know about the derailment, and I feel like maybe the same will happen with Lily. As I read her wikipedia page I'm finding signs such as "Her appearance at the 2008 Glamour Awards of the Year also generated criticism, as she showed up intoxicated with a dress depicting decapitated Bambi figures, and had an on-stage, expletive-laced exchange with Elton John" or "Allen has shown her third nipple on television." So maybe one day we'll all be rolling our eyes when someone asks about how we liked Lily Allen. That is if anyone else is with me here, if not then just disregard this whole article.

6 comments:

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

She's cute and that's about all I know. You could just not listen to her music and just think of her as a cute chick like me. It will make it a lot easier on you lol

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

I'm perfectly fine admitting that I really like her new cd. I just thought it'd be funnier to write as if I was desperately seeking approval to like it rather then just say I like it and people should give it a chance.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you think you're in a pickle by listening to an artist that you might not ordinarily listen to. In reality, though, you're not. If you like the music, that's really the only thing that matters.

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

Only one day into the contest and you've completed my challenge. That may have given you bonus points, but someone else left like 12 comments, all on old posts, just today.

Oregon Slacker said...

Maybe it was just me but I listened to the tune "Fuck You" and tbh the music seemed liked something I'd hear from christmas jingle.. seriously tho.. being raised to RunDMC, and Ice-T I'd have to say my opinion is that maybe she's better off just suckin' on pickles herself ;)

ATC 1982 said...

All I got from this article was extra pickles. Let me just say I would choose her music over these extra pickles any day of the week.

Post a Comment