Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

June 15, 2009

EA Sports Active: Day 25 (The Undeterred)



It was another disappointing weigh in today, I've only lost 1 more pound. It's still a total of 17 though, so I'm unfazed. Hopefully I'll have a bigger loss for my next and last update of the 30 day challenge. For now, I've got some points to clear up.

EA contacted Dan Hsu over at BitMob about my inline skating gripes. Their suggestion? Make sure to jump while on the ramp and not before it. I've sort of solved the whole situation, as I mentioned on my Twitter, and the solution wasn't as simple as that. You see, its a two-fold problem, 1. If I'm going too fast, then my jumps don't register until I'm already over the ramp, and 2. The jump doesn't actually seem to register right at the beginning, more toward the middle of the actual jump. So I usually just stand up more to slow down before the ramp so I can be sure not to miss it, and then I've found it still doesn't register sometimes unless I'm jumping right at the end of the ramp (on the green part). They said that it seems to be a common problem, I'm not sure if that means it popped up during focus group tests or if they are just hearing about it now. It could probably be fixed by making the ramps longer so hopefully they will some sort of tweak in future editions.

A couple updates ago I mentioned how the game seemed to be under the impression that I was halfway through the 30 days well before my count. It told me I should rest every 2 to 3 days when I turned it on on Day 3, so I rested. Then I decided I would go 2 days, rest, then 3 days, and so on. I think that what the game is doing, is basing what day you are on by if you rest after every 2 days. So when I do a 3rd day it is speeding up my 30 days. Basically this means I will be done much sooner in the game world, but I'll keep doing it until I'm at my count of 30 days.

There seem to be some misconceptions out there about Active's use of the balance board. I've seen lots of comments about getting the game because of wanting something else to use the board with. It does use it, but barely. Every activity that uses the balance board can be done without it, and it doesn't even really seem to add much when you use it. For example, in basketball you are tasked with moving both arms to the side to pick up a ball, then thrusting your arms toward a target. If it includes the balance board, that means that you have to step off the board as your thrusting your arms, which doesn't really make much of a difference at all. So don't think that it is a necessary accessory to playing Active, because its most definitely not.

I moved up to the high intensity workouts. The first day doing so was like Day 1 all over again. The medium intensity had become much easier then when I had started, so I'm glad I moved up. I kind of wish the game encouraged you to move up if you have been on a lower intensity for awhile, it certainly helped me. Only 5 days left. We'll see what weight I can end on.


0 comments:

Post a Comment