Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

August 30, 2009

August Music Wrap-Up


The Music Wrap-Up is a monthly summary of my favorite and other notable new releases. The songs are for sampling purposes only. Artists or labels notify me with any complaints and I will remove the song as soon as possible. Please support these musicians as that's the reason I'm featuring them in the first place.


August has been slightly less packed with music then June and July were, but theres no shortage of heavy hitters here. Arctic Monkeys, Mew, new EPs from Modest Mouse and Blitzen Trapper, and a new Radiohead song. I'm definitely not going to scoff at that line-up, and that's not even all there is. So lean back in your chair, click on these songs, and enjoy what comes out of your speakers.


Mew's No More Stories...

Repeater Beater




Hawaii



Mew is many things; haunting, beautiful, epic, unique, sweeping, and weird. I love weird, so that's a good thing. Either way, don't turn them on and expect a short and casual listen. Turn them on, lay down, close your eyes, and just listen.

Arctic Monkey's Humbug

Crying Lightning




On the first listen, I was apathetic to this cd. It took a few more before I realized I had no clue what I was thinking. You know how you perceive a band to be something its not sometimes? I somehow got it into my head that Arctic Monkeys were much faster then they are. Once I got past that idea, this album blew me away. I always say, the best music is that which has to grow on you...

mc chris' Part Six, Part Two

Zuckuss' Prius




Japanese Maid



In case you're behind, our hero has died, gone to heaven, left heaven and came back to Earth as a zombie, and then got killed and ended up in Hell. Now we pick up with the only way he can escape Hell, GTFO! Hell's most popular game show! I don't know about you, but I'm glued to my computer until Part Three comes out and I can find out if he wins the arm wrestling match with the host of Nickelodeon's GUTs, Mike O'Malley.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's Up From Below

40 Day Dream




Home



There is a reason I listen to NPR's All Songs Considered every week. Every once in awhile they spring an amazing band like this one on me. Just like Humbug, I wasn't immediately hooked on them. I liked it alright, but it took 2 or 3 times before I fell in love.

GWAR's Lust in Space

Lust in Space




Where is Zog?



There's just no way around it, GWAR is amazing. I'm not even a big fan of metal or other heavy music, but you just can't not love GWAR. I will be seeing them live for the first time soon, and I can't wait to see what they'll do. I've watched almost all of their live dvds, so I know all about their ridiculous concerts.

Modest Mouse's No One's First and You're Next

Guilty Cocker Spaniels




King Rat



An 8 song EP, featuring music from the Good News for People Who Love Bad News and We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank sessions. There's some really good stuff on here. I'm not sure why they even cut them in the first place.

Blitzen Trapper's Black River Killer

Preacher's Sister's Boy




Yet another band I found from All Songs Considered. When I saw this EP, I assumed as the title was that of a song from their previous full length, Furr, that it was just a single. To my surprise it is a full fledged EP, with 6 other newly recorded songs that were only previously available on a cd the band would sell at their shows.

Radiohead

These Are My Twisted Words




According to the band, this is just a song they recorded and nothing more. This is not a sign of a new cd to come. Smells fishy to me, but when you are as big as Radiohead is you don't really need to put out new releases very often.

3 comments:

yanglyn said...

Oooo nice! I like, I like. I'd never heard of Mew before this. Thank you! ^___^

Alex said...

Always happy to introduce more people to a great band. Check out their last cd, And the Glass Handed Kites, as well. Its a favorite of mine.

Luis Alvarez said...

new Arctic Monkeys record = very happy luis!!! haha
i think they're awesome and it's been far too long a wait for this record.

Post a Comment