Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

August 20, 2009

Music Review: GWAR's Lust in Space



For the uninitiated, GWAR are space marauders who crash landed on Earth only to be found by a sleazy band manager named Sleazy P. Martini and turned into a metal band. In the past they have tried numerous ways to destroy the human race, or have fought against others who wanted to destroy the human race so that they could be the ones to do it. Now that you're caught up with their past you should enjoy their music more.

Obviously there is much more to GWAR then just metal. Their ridiculous stories, characters, and stage shows are one of the reasons I love them. Metal usually takes itself way too seriously, and as a result I was never able to get into it. GWAR is a very different story.

Before Violence Has Arrived, a lot of their music was just as goofy as their costumes, but with that album they took a different path. The songs sounded like much more serious metal, but usually with tongue in cheek lyrics about destroying mankind.

It was still enough for me through War Party, but I wasn't really looking forward to more of the same. Not being very big on metal, I needed something more to cling to. Then Beyond Hell was released, and I found a new hook to grasp onto. That hook was an overarching storyline throughout the cd, in which the world, so enraptured in war, awakened the underworld, sucking our favorite scumdogs of the universe down into it. What else to do while down there but take down the devil himself?

The story helped keep me coming back, as even though I enjoyed the music it was much heavier then what I would normally listen to. Luckily Lust in Space seems to be following right along in Beyond Hell's footsteps. From what I can make of the story so far, our anti-heroes have become sick of the planet and its human filth and have taken off into space to do battle with their former arch enemy Cardinal Syn.

The music seems to have amped the brutality up a few notches. There's much more chanting and double kick pedal bass drums. It'll always be the ridiculous story that pulls me back in though.

If you think their album lyrics sound crazy, just wait until you see a live show. I have yet to actually see them live, but have watched almost every one of their dvds. They are coming around in mid-September, and I can't wait to experience it for myself. I just need to find some clothes I don't care about getting covered in blood.

Oh, and yes I am aware of the fact that this was barely a review. Oh well.

Score: 4 out of 5
Confused about our scoring system? Read this explanation.

1 comments:

yanglyn said...

Holy moly that album cover is really trippy. I think someone needs to review or rethink the design of that thing because it's burning my eyes. loool oh god... Poor design... Make it stop.

Post a Comment