Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

August 05, 2009

MC Chris - Part Six, Part Two



For the uninitiated among us, mc chris is labeled as a nerdcore rapper. In fact many would argue he started this genre, or at least helped popularize it and spawn a slew of copycats. You may know him from the Adult Swim show Aquateen Hunger Force, in which he has played a different rapping character every season, it's where most people do. I've been a fan of mc chris for quite awhile, but with the release of mc chris is dead I felt my adoration for him waning.

His first two releases were short, goofy and fun. They consisted of a handful of catchy songs, and another handful of amusing skits. Before they could ever grow tiring, they were over. I was hooked on them, they were great to return to often because of their short length and you would always find something else funny within the skits. But after that, mc seemed unsure of what to do next.

His next album, Dungeon Master of Ceremonies, featured more then twice as many tracks, and had no skits at all. The songs were much more serious sounding as well. I enjoyed it, but I missed the skits. I didn't have to wait long though, his next cd brought back the skits and goofier songs. While these facts were great news for me, the cd was still twice the length and as a result had a handful of dud songs that I never got into very much.

By the time mc chris is dead was released, I didn't really care anymore. It had no skits again, and was the first mc release that I didn't ever listen to enough to actually learn the songs. I had more or less given up on mc chris when I heard about Part Six, Part One. But I decided to give it a chance.

On my first listen I was confused, skits about arriving in hell? How did he get to hell? Apparently he had re-released mc chris is dead with skits on it that bridged the gap between the skits on Dungeon Master of Ceremonies and this new release. Not only that, but it had a scant 4 songs on it and I loved them all. It seemed like mc was back to the roots of his first two cds, and had a continuing storyline of skits to boot.

He's now back only a few months later with Part Six, Part Two. It seems as though he has finally found a groove for himself. He plans on releasing many more of these, I would imagine six parts but I've heard only five.

Part Two is just as good as Part One, four great songs (although I'm not in love with Potato Cakes, its pretty good and amuses me because I worked at Arbys for several years) and three hilarious skits that I always find amusing no matter how many times I listen to them. He's already making images of Part Three artwork with the words coming soon emblazoned across them. I'm not sure how long soon is but I think he's said before the end of the year.

I am once again excited for new mc chris releases, and have fallen in love with each of the songs on them. Whenever I can find an excuse I crank up Part One or Part Two and sing along. It's nice to be a raging mc chris fanboy again, and I hope this direction he's going continues without becoming too stale.

0 comments:

Post a Comment