Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

August 19, 2009

District 10? What Would Get Me Excited About a Sequel to District 9



Warning! This post contains SPOILERS for District 9! Don't say I didn't warn you!

The movie industry loves its sequels. If a movie does well, then you can be guaranteed it'll get another entry soon enough. District 9 made its budget back in about 5 minutes of release. Sure it wasn't a huge budget to begin with, but that'll make a sequel all the more appealing to the big wigs.

Neill Blomkamp might not want to do one, but plenty of studios have gone ahead without the original writer/director. I'm not sure who owns the rights to the property but I imagine since Blomkamp is a first timer that the studio probably does. So I might as well start speculating about a sequel right now.

I'm not normally an advocate for retreading material, or telling stories that don't need to be told. When talk of a Cloverfield sequel came about I groaned. I don't want to know where the monster came from, and I don't want to see another monster. But that said, theres usually room to make an excellent sequel.

In District 9's case I see two possibilities. They could make a prequel that explains why the aliens came to Earth, and how they became so malnourished. I'll have to admit I'm somewhat curious as to the answers to these questions. Did they somehow run out of food on a trip to somewhere else and stop on Earth, only to be too weak to open the doors? Was this a ship full of prisoners or something that the rest of the aliens set on autopilot to get rid of them?

Ultimately though, I think I would hate a movie that explained this stuff. So the second thing I see working is a sequel set around the uprising of the prawn, led by Wikus. At the end of the movie it says that they are all taken to the other camp, but it shows Wikus in a garbage dump. So if he's out of that camp then maybe he'd plan a way for the others to escape. Maybe Christopher would come back toward the end of the movie or something?

I think this would probably be the most ideal story to tell, I'm just unsure if we really need it or not. Still, I doubt I'd mind watching it. Any thoughts from anyone else on what you'd like to see if they make a District 10?

1 comments:

yanglyn said...

Wait, I thought Blomkamp did want to do a sequel? Hmm. Could've sworn I read that somewhere.

But dude, yes, DISTRICT 10 FTW! I think they set up a perfect opportunity for a sequel. After the damage Wikus and Christopher did in District 9, I'm sure there's going to be some sort of military uproar when Christopher comes back. There's going to be some kind of chaos. And after Christopher turns Wikus back into a human, there's got to be some sort of interference with him getting back to his wife. I mean, the guy killed how many people?

I say there's plenty of drama and action and quirky bits of humor waiting to happen and they should start making the sequel already!

Post a Comment