Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

December 18, 2009

Trailer Park: December 18th



Trailer Park is a weekly post, every thursday, where we feature trailers for the upcoming weekend movie releases.

Well here we are folks. It's time to see whether or not James Cameron's ridiculously huge budget will pay off. If this thing bombs, then it will be the biggest waste of money ever created. I'm sure it'll make back it's almost half a billion, after marketing, budget at some point though -- even if it takes 20 years. But it probably won't bomb. It's just a matter of the mainstream movie-going audience's interest. The nerds can't carry half a billion.



I stopped watching this trailer about halfway through. It quickly became clear that it was going to explain the plot of the entire movie. That sort of shows the problem that has plagued the entire marketing campaign for Avatar -- they have no clue how to market it. That's a really bad problem to have when your movie's budget will likely hit the half billion mark when all is said and done.

So they went all out. Avatar day was an unprecedented marketing move. The idea was to get people into 3D theaters so they could see for themselves what all the buzz was about. They would get excited once they saw it in full blown 3D. Great, then don't release the trailer the morning before they are supposed to go see it the "real" way. I showed up for Avatar day, which I wrote about here, but more then half of my showing didn't.

Who knows how this whole thing will play out? James Cameron has to be crossing his fingers pretty hard right now though.



Meh. Not a musical guy. Still, Daniel Day Lewis and lots of half naked women might be alright.


Other Releases:
Did You Hear About the Morgans?
The Young Victoria
A Town Called Panic
Crazy Heart
Ricky


What will you be seeing?

3 comments:

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

I think Avatar is going to be the Star Wars for this generation. I have yet to see it but speilberg is quoted as saying he hasnt felt this way after a movie[after seeing Avatar] since Star Wars. I hope to catch it in Imax 3d sometime soon.

Also I love the still image for Nine on the video.

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

Mmmmm, I know, right? It's a nice shot to entice people to click play.

Travis McReynolds said...

I don't know. I'm getting the feeling not a lot of mainstream audiences will turn out for Avatar. I guess we'll see, but I think I'm smelling a bomb.
Also, I'll be seeing a double feature of Old Dogs and Did You Hear About the Morgans? this weekend. I fandango'd the tickets, making this the shittiest possible weekend of my life.

Post a Comment