Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

September 02, 2009

A Gamer's Mentality: The Game World Seeping into Reality



Seven o'clock AM on a cool Michigan morning, I arrive at the farm to feed the cows. The fence charge is unusually low, so I investigate. The cows won't come when called, so I venture back into the field. Upon finding them, I inspect the fence they are near. Nothing. So I lead them back for food.

There are some path finding issues. Several of them begin to wander straight into enemy territory and I must herd them back the right way. One of the cows gets ahead of me and gets hung up on the corner of a gate. He starts clipping back and forth, blocking the path for the rest of the cows, who begin to bunch up in a pile.

Moments like these have become common in my reality. That is to say, moments that do not exist in reality. A gamer sees the world in a completely different way from everyone else, the normals....

Another cool morning feeding the cows. As I step over the fence and turn the corner, I notice two cows have broken into the pen with our 3-legged cow (Fact or Fiction? You decide) and are eating all of her hay. I chase them out and begin repairing the broken fence.

Several towers and some traps later, I notice the oncoming horde of enemy soldiers. I hunker down in the hayloft and watch. They approach my defenses and stare longingly inside, then wander past one by one. This wave has been held off, but will my measly defenses hold up to the next one?

We've all had moments like this, right? After trying to master Queens of the Stone Age's No One Knows in Guitar Hero for days, I will forever see colored bars flying past my face when I listen to that song. After playing Burnout Legends on PSP obsessively for weeks, I couldn't ever pass a lawn service trailer with the ramp down and not think about hitting it full speed.

This is either a common thing, or I'm a psycho. If it is the latter, then you can assume that this entire article has been a work of fiction. I mean, three-legged cow? Really? That's just ridiculous.


6 comments:

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

I'm just a little confused. The first part of the story seems like it's a normal occurance. But yes there are times I wish I had a car that could shoot missiles, and arrows in the road for ultra speed, and jumping cars also

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

Look to the paragraph breaks to guide your way between my twisted thoughts and reality.

yanglyn said...

Um. o___o So... there's this thing called acid... I think you might've heard of it. A drug of some sort... Makes you see things like three legged cows and people trying to kill you.

SOUND FAMILIAR? HMMMM? HMMMMMMMM!??!

:P

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

You see? You didn't look to the paragraphs! Do I have to prove everything to you guys!?!

http://twitpic.com/gb1ww

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

I'm still confused about the cow in the corner part

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

The 2 paragraphs containing everything fake and made up in my head are the ones that start with: There are some pathfinding issues (which takes real life scenarios and adds RTS conventions onto them) and Some towers and traps later (which I add tower defense game scenarios to the real world).

Post a Comment