Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

September 05, 2009

Insufficient Funds: Crazy Planets


Insufficient Funds is a weekly article in which we feature a free, or very close to it, piece of media that you can enjoy without overdrafting your bank account.


Facebook has become a vast landscape of crap. I can't sign in anymore without having to block at least 3 different applications from inviting me again. So I pretty much just ignored all the games, assuming they were complete crap. Then I watched an episode of Co-Op that covered a slew of Facebook games and was surprised at how good some of them looked. Since I started doing this weekly free/cheap things article, I thought I'd focus on one of them this week, Crazy Planets...

Here's the short review: Its Worms with social networking tacked on. In case you never played Worms, it's pretty simple. You've got your team of little characters, the enemy has theirs. Run them around the map on your turn, and aim their cute, little weapons and the enemies cute, little heads. Don't die.



Worms is one of my favorite series. I can always do with a little Worms, which is why I immediately tried this game out when I heard about it. Besides the basic Worm elements, Crazy Planets has rounded maps, planets... duh. Then there's the social networking aspects.

Which leads me to my problems with the game, or at least with my experience with the game. You see, I add just about everyone I even remotely know if Facebook suggests them to me. So I have a lot more friends then most probably do, and I use the term friends loosely. Still, only one of those people is playing Crazy Planets.

Without having other friends of yours playing the game, it gets pretty boring. You start off with enough resources to upgrade one of your weapons, but after that your on your own. In order to upgrade things, you need items that can only be obtained via cash money payments, or from friends that are playing the game.

On top of this, the game is designed to keep you playing for a long period of time in short bursts. The definition of casual. If you research a new weapon, or upgrade one, then it takes a real life time span of 24 hours before you can use it. That is, unless you want to fork over some of your real life dough to get them instantly.

Then there's the walls, the figurative ones. You hit a lot of these. For instance, it was becoming increasingly difficult to progress through the game without a new unit under my command. So at some point I just had to grind a level over and over until I was a high enough level to recruit a new person.

Now, it's not letting me continue to the next set of levels that I have been up to for 2 levels. I have to grind out one more level before I can go through. It's moments like these that get very boring when you're playing the game as much as I am. If you were playing it over the span of a month rather then the week that I spent with the game, then it might not be so frustrating.

In the end, it's a perfectly adequate game. Using your actual friends for allies, and having their faces plastered onto the characters bodies is entertaining enough. If you haven't played Worms, you might easily mistake this game as amazing. Myself having played the vastly superior Worms series on countless occasions, it's hard to ignore the flaws inherent in a Facebook ripoff of it. It's still a fun distraction for the free price tag though. And I have an arcade cabinet and a 2001 Monolith on my planet, you can't beat that.


6 comments:

yanglyn said...

Play Puzzle Pirates. It's not a facebook game... But play it.

Luis Alvarez said...

Alex... why are we not facebook friends?

my feelings are hurt.

=(

Luis Alvarez said...

oh and don't play puzzle pirates..... it'll consume your life, much like its doing to me.


=/

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

You have no idea how many people I add as friends everytime I log on. I don't seek anyone out though, I just click on the recommendations.

Basically I hate Facebook, and until I get absolutely sick of it, I just click on shit. So if you add me, I will probably click yes without even thinking about it.

Soon I am going to wipe my profile clean and leave nothing but a link to my personal blog with a message saying: Fuck these social networks. If you give a shit about what I'm doing or what I have to say, you'll go here instead.

Alex R. Cronk-Young said...

GemCraft already consumed at least a month of my life, why not Puzzle Pirates? It must be on Kongregate though. That I insist.

yanglyn said...

Luis is just butthurt because I introduced him to puzzle pirates and he wants to be better than me but he isn't :)

Post a Comment