Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

September 04, 2009

Top 5: Most Wanted N64 Games on Wii Virtual Console



Any retro gamer with a Wii has no doubt complained at least once about the slow drizzle of content being put out on the systems Virtual Console service. One of the worst offenders is on the Nintendo 64 side of things. As of this date, almost 3 years into the Wii's life, there are only 16 N64 releases on the VC.

So I thought I would take a Top 5 and set it's laser sights on this very area. These may not be the best games for N64, but they are some of my favorites and the ones that I think would most likely be able to be released still. So here we go....


5. Wetrix
When searching through lists of N64 games to feature in this Top 5, I came across two puzzlers that intrigued me, Wetrix and Tetrisphere. While the latter had better overall reviews, I still settled on Wetrix for this list. One being I never played Tetrisphere, but two being that it is a more original concept. Sure, 3D Tetris is all well and good, but I'd rather see how Wetrix holds up these days.


4. Pilot Wings 64
This might sound like an extremely lame pick to you, but to that I say, you had to be there. When the N64 launched and all us sucker early adapters decided what games we should get, it was pretty much this, Wave Race, and Mario 64. Surprisingly Pilot Wings was a very fun and unique game though, and it has gone on many gamers lists of cult favorites. I guess it was smart for Nintendo to give us little choice but to buy the game, now that we love it they can keep dangling it in front of us and never deliver.


3. Ogre Battle 64
Just do an eBay search for this game real quick. No, really. I'll wait.......
..............
............
Back? SEE?!?!? So Nintendo should totally release this right? I want to see what all the hype is about just as much as you. You know, I actually have this game sitting on a shelf in my house. I took it from a friend so I could see what it was like without paying a ridiculous cost. Maybe I should actually do that, or give it back to him.


2. Conker's Bad Fur Day
Alright, so I put this on the list even though there probably isn't a chance in Hell we'll ever see it. Why? Because it is AMAZING. Well, at least it was. There might be a good chance that I won't find a battle with a singing pile of poo so funny anymore. Still, if there is any chance that Rare would still release this despite the whole Microsoft owning them thing, then it'd be great for a whole new generation of immature 15 year olds to discover.


1. Goemon's Great Adventure
Sure, the Nintendo 64 didn't have a long list of great games, but Legend of the Mystical Ninja was one of my favorites. It was VERY japanese, but that was its charm. It was years after the Gamecube had come out before I realized this game exsisted. I've meant to buy it on eBay but haven't gotten around to it. Apparently it's a 2D Adventure type of game? I'd love to have it readily available for download so that I can finally see if it lives up to one of my favorite N64 classics, if not one of my favorite games of all time (I'd probably have to replay it before I declared that, it might be very ridiculous).


Well, that's my list. Anybody else have any games they want to see? You know, BESIDES Goldeneye? No matter how great of ideas they are, I wouldn't hold your breath. Didn't you know the Virtual Console is dead?

0 comments:

Post a Comment