Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

September 15, 2010

Book Ruminations: Catching Up On The Classics (Part One)


During my adolescent years, I regarded books as something that "got in the way of video games." As I matured, I realized my folly and began devouring as many books as possible. This is not a review, but merely my thoughts and musings about books in general.

The wonderful thing about books: Just because you missed a book when it was new doesn't mean it isn't still enjoyable today. I have to have this mindset because, like that little blurb up there states, I missed out on so many great stories.

Two of my recent acquisitions were devoured very rapidly, and with great delight. The first, 1984, sits in stark contrast to the second, Catch-22. While both books were written around the same time -- 1984 by George Orwell was first published in 1949; and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller was published in 1955 -- it's eerie how accurately they both depict modern society.

I wish I could've read 1984 when it was a fresh, new idea. I had heard of Big Brother many times before I picked up the novel, and I had seen many different takes on Orwell's classic, which means I knew what to expect. That didn't prepare me for how prophetic 1984 is, however. Basically, there's someone watching your every move, in this case Big Brother, and you can't even think something that isn't in accordance with how Big Brother wants you to think. There are even Thought Police!

The book ended expectedly, but that doesn't mean I was prepared for it. That is, it was unnerving when I thought of a bad scenario, and that scenario played out even worse in the final few pages. But again, I expected it; the entire book never deviated from feeling a certain way. A way which can only be described as 1984-like, if that makes sense.

Again, I wish I had read it before having the knowledge I did, but I didn't and I can't. Overall, I'm very happy I was finally able to sit down and engross myself in its pages.


I don't think I've ever read a funnier book than Catch-22, and I doubt I ever will. Heller has a way of making something so simple hilarious. My favorite sentence comes about a quarter of the way through the book. It is as follows: Major Major Major Major had had a difficult time from the start. There aren't any typos there, it really is that ridiculous.

The book is based on the main character, Yossarian, who seems to be crazy. But once you get going, you realize pretty much every character in the book is insane. Every character is extremely flawed, but somehow so human. I guess that's the point though, isn't it? It makes it easier to connect with the characters, and put yourself in their situation.

I don't care much for politics, and Catch-22 was obviously written as a political statement for its time. But that doesn't detract from how wonderfully written the book is.

Although Catch-22 is hilarious, it's a frightening book. Towards the end some pretty terrible things take place, and by the very end I almost felt sick reading about the demise of the various characters. The deaths are gruesome, but they aren't so ridiculous they couldn't actually happen. Which is why it's so frightening to me, I suppose. I know one thing: I never want to go to war.

Still, don't let that deter you from an excellent read. And in case you somehow didn't know, the term catch-22 is taken directly from the book's title. The book Catch-22 invented how we use the term today. I love cool stuff like that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment