Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

September 15, 2010

Shuffled: Filthy Liar Edition

Every other Wednesday I hit the shuffle button on my 90 gigabytes of music and post the results. I might have to justify some of the stuff in my library, but hopefully it will help inform you of new music -- Or at least be entertaining.

Good lord, doing Shuffled every other week has really exposed how little of my music library I listen to on a regular basis. Actually, I think the first band on this list has come up before and I said I would have to listen to them a bit more. Obviously I never did and I have been outed as a filthy liar. Great. Well, go ahead and enjoy the music anyway.



#1: The Klaxons - It's Not Over Yet

I'm not well-versed in the dance punk genre, if that's what The Klaxons are under. I haven't actually listened to them in a long time, like I said, filthy liar. But this song seems alright. Though, I'm not crazy about the vocals and lyrics, but you might get used to that stuff.

#2: Lou Reed - Nowhere At All

I can't even remember where I got the Velvet Underground CD that I have, -- Either a friend or my brother I'd suppose -- but it definitely helped to mold my musical tastes a bit from the "all punk all the time" approach I had in high school.

#3: Wolf Parade - Ghost Pressure

I don't know what it is about Wolf Parade, but I just can't seem to get into them. Their latest has actually caught me a little bit more than their previous releases, though. I should probably go back and give them all a second chance, but we all know I'm probably just saying that.

#4: They Might Be Giants - Rest Awhile

This is a little more obscure of a They Might Be Giants song, but a pretty great one that I'm glad popped up on shuffle. Having a kid, I've enjoyed their most recent children CDs as they don't make me want to rip my eardrums out like a lot of kid's music does. Still, it's great to go back into their catalog and listen to some classics.

#5: The Weakerthans - Benediction

When John Samson left Propagandhi to form The Weakerthans, you might have expected a more punk sound. Obviously that was a false notion. Nowadays it is weird to go back and listen to the songs he took vocals on during Propagandhi since both bands have so thoroughly established a unique sound since the time they played together. I don't listen to Weakerthans nearly as much as I do Propagandhi, but I aways love putting them on and relaxing. The lyrics really drive the quality of the band home and are some of my favorite ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment