Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

October 27, 2010

Shuffled: No Theme Edition

Every other Wednesday I hit the shuffle button on my 90 gigabytes of music and post the results. I might have to justify some of the stuff in my library, but hopefully it will help inform you of new music -- Or at least be entertaining.

Every time I do this feature I think about deleting a majority of my music library. So many albums I never listen to. You ever get worried that you're missing out on really great music that you would love? I mean, there's billions of bands out there, so I feel the urge to check out any and every one that I hear about. Do I have a problem? Is there a support group for this?



#1: Dividers, by Lagwagon
From the album Blaze. Buy it here.

My cousin was really into Lagwagon, but I was always sort of indifferent. It's good pop punk to blast when you're in the mood, but I never felt much of a draw. Still, I haven't deleted them from my connection. It's not nostalgic for me, but it's still pretty good.

#2: I Was Married, by Tegan and Sara
From the album The Con. Buy it here.

This is probably a bad song to sample the album as a whole, since it is just a brief intro song, but such is the results of shuffle. I'm not as crazy about Tegan and Sara as some are, but there are some good pop songs on their first CD, and it's easy to recommend.

#3: Love U, by Blitzen Trapper
From the album Furr. Buy it here.

Blitzen Trapper is a blend of indie folk, and a sort of alternative-country rock. This is much more the rock side. I would place them somewhere in the south if I didn't know they were from Portland. I told my wife this song was going on a Valentine's Day mix CD. She was less than enthused. To me, "I love you like my shoes have soles" is pretty damn romantic. Women.

#4: Wound, by Smashing Pumpkins
From the album Machina. Buy it here.

Smashing Pumpkins have always been kind of like Weezer to me: I'm alright with them, but have never hailed them as legends like some do. They're both alright bands that I'm fine listening to, but when it comes to those concert tickets that cost hundreds of dollars, I'll pass.

#5: Hotdog to the Head, by Guttermouth
From the album Eat Your Face. Buy it here.

I think all fans of Guttermouth were disappointed by Gusto. It, uh... wasn't a good CD. If I recall correctly, even the band themselves bashed it awhile after its release. Eat Your Face is obviously an answer to that album.

0 comments:

Post a Comment