Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

October 25, 2010

Video Round-Up: Nostalgia Lane Edition

Video Round-Up is a weekly post collecting an assortment of videos from around the web. Whether they be music videos, creative viral marketing, just plain cool, or just plain ridiculous, they will all be found on Video Round-Up.

This week's Round-Up is an assorted mix of awesome. The nostalgia comes from a retro-inspired commercial and a Simpsons intro that has me looking to return to one of my most beloved childhood TV show obsessions. But apart from that, there is some amazing vocal talent from my newest schoolgirl-like crush, and a eery phone call you might not have heard, probably won't believe, but should find interesting nonetheless. Enjoy!



Like so many people my age, I stopped watching the Simpsons countless seasons ago. A lot of people moved onto "edgier" shows when they graduated high school, but some just think the show lost something. I'm probably in the latter camp, but I couldn't really say for sure, because since I've stopped watching I never really went back to make sure I was making the right choice. But this intro that is circulating the Internet has me second guessing.

Created by British street artist, Banksy, it certainly doesn't hold back any punches. When given the opportunity to create one of the shows trademark intro sequences, he went right for the jugular and highlighted the frequent practice of studios to outsource their merchandise to Korean sweatshops in order to save a buck or two. It doesn't even lampoon a shitty practice in a funny way, it just outright rips the entire idea apart. Now that is edgy.

P.S. If Fox takes this off of YouTube again, try the video on nerdist.com.



I know, I know. We've featured about a billion Gregory Brothers (Auto-tune the news) videos. But guess what? They aren't all just talented auto-tuners of news. Dig deep enough and you'll probably find other creative things they've done. My favorite, though, is that of the married Gregorys, Evan and Sarah. They created a band based around accenting Sarah's amazing voice, and I would love to get my hands on an album of theirs. I really hope they get to recording one. In the meantime, there are plenty more songs on their Myspace page.

Move over, Zooey Deschanel. I've got a new crush.



It's not even that I believe this phone call, because I don't. I mean, in all of the universe, I'm sure there are aliens out there, but that whole Area 51 stuff is a bit of a stretch. But while I'm always pretty skeptical of stories of paranormal experiences, I still find them endlessly fascinating. I love reading them and listening to people tell them. I love hearing how much they believe in them, and thinking that they could be true, even if it is very unlikely. That's probably a huge reason I got so into the band The Paper Chase. They always have sound-bytes of things like this. This particular clip is used twice in their CD Now You Are One of Us, which lead me to do some digging about where it originally came from.

If you actually click over to YouTube, the description of this video has a lot more information about the call, including subsequent calls from the man, or at least people claiming to be the man. It's a pretty interesting read, and even though the guy called back and said it was a hoax, I still love listening to it. Who knows, maybe he was just forced to admit it was a hoax, or maybe that wasn't really him. OoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOooOOOOOOooOOooOoOOO.



Whether or not you can handle the brutal difficulty of a game like Super Meat Boy is meaningless to your ability to enjoy the hell out of this Area 5 created, retro-Genesis era inspired Super Meat Boy launch trailer. I wish all video games had unique and interesting ad campaigns.

1 comments:

Chris Whitehead said...

Isn't that the soundbyte used in the last track on Tool's Lateralus, too?

Also, I have a hyper crush on Sarah Gregory.

Also, I was psyched when I first saw that Super Meat Boy ad. It's sad that Co-op is no longer their career, but it's cool to see Area 5 getting work.

Also, WOW that Simpsons intro was effective. I definitely understand what you mean about the departure of kids our age from this show and the perception that it's quality diminished. But whenever I catch an episode (once a year), I'm proved wrong. The truth is, the show isn't for kids, not because it's edgy, but because the simple jokes aren't what make that show great. It's the intelligence.

Post a Comment