Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

October 13, 2010

Shuffled: Punk Plus Edition

Every other Wednesday I hit the shuffle button on my 90 gigabytes of music and post the results. I might have to justify some of the stuff in my library, but hopefully it will help inform you of new music -- Or at least be entertaining.

This edition turned out very punk-filled, except for the first track by The Dodos. While most of my musical tastes have matured into the indie territory since high school, punk is still a very comforting genre for me. When life gets complicated, it's always nice to put on one of my favorite punk albums and unwind by acting like a complete fool, singing and drumming along in my car. It takes me back to a simpler time in life, when bills and jobs weren't a worry. Maybe it will do the same for you.



The Dodos - Ashley
from the CD Visiter

The Dodos are such an amazing band, managing to squeeze an amazing amount of depth and layers out of just two musicians. Definitely check them out if you haven't. Visiter is probably my favorite CD, but their first and their newest ones are also excellent.

30footFALL - Subhumanitarian Homewrecked Blues
from the CD Ever Revolving, Never Evolving

I really love 30footFALL, despite knowing very little about them and not having many of their CDs. I'd probably consider Ever Revolving, Never Evolving one of my favorite albums ever, so I'm not sure why I never tracked down their follow-up, The Doppler Effect. They're very much in the vein of Guttermouth and The Vandals, so if you enjoy the goofier punk sounds, you'll probably like them.

Buzzcocks - Fast Cars
from the CD Another Music in a Different Kitchen

One of the greatest punk bands of the 80s. Easily.

Anti-Flag - The Truth
from the CD Their System Doesn't Work For You

Some people think Anti-Flag dropped off with The Terror State, but that's one of my favorite albums of theirs. Everything after that just took the Terror State sound and pumped more pop into it, though. Still, whenever you jumped off the Anti-Flag bandwagon, there's no denying how much they've evolved. While their new CDs might appeal more to a new generation of fans than those of us who've matured away from them, they've still matured themselves quite a bit. This song being off of a compilation CD of some of their earliest material certainly shows that much.

NOFX - Scavenger Type
from the CD Punk in Drublic

NOFX is one of those punk bands that has barely evolved at all, but for some reason I still really enjoy. Well, they've certainly grown up from stuff like Liberal Animation, but as of the last four or so releases, they've stayed pretty much on the same level. It's kind of comforting, actually. They might not be evolving their sound, but they certainly haven't grown stagnant.

1 comments:

tesat said...

b8m41e0n56 q5j31y8w17 j5i50k5y56 g3u60v7k81 p4q20p7f88 o9u23b2k87

Post a Comment