Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

May 20, 2011

Insufficient Funds: Dr. Green

Insufficient Funds is a weekly post in which we feature a free, or very close to it, piece of media that you can enjoy without overdrafting your bank account. So if you're low on funds, stay tuned to Cerebral Pop every Friday morning.

Music is good; free music is really good. For this week's post on Insufficient Funds here are a load of free tracks by a band I recently had the pleasure of seeing live: A three piece rock band trio by the name of Dr. Green.

Last weekend I made a little excursion up north to Burlington, Vermont. After a late start and a five hour drive, I had reached the far north west corner of the Green Mountain State. Now most people would be content with just relaxing after such a trip, but my friend had mentioned there were other plans for the evening: A house party in South Burlington.

Never one to pass up an opportunity to party, I happily jumped on the occasion to let loose and meet some new people. I knew I was getting into some crazy shit whenever I'm hanging around my friends, but what I didn't expect was the party to have a basement concert. Three bands played that night; all of them blasted a crater in the ground from rocking so hard I was scared the house would collapse on top of me (in hindsight I think my dancing with the ladies was more destructive than anything).

The next day I did a little research on who played. Fortunately, I was sober enough to write down the names of the bands. Of the three that played, however, only the band called Dr. Green came up with an actual website -- not to be confused with a Baltic Ska band by the same name. While they have a small fan base in the New England area and have opened for bands like 30 seconds to Mars, they have put their entire collection of recordings up on-line for free (though their website lists it as a limited time). Their debut album is free with submitting an e-mail address (mailing list purposes only), while the rest are direct downloads. If you enjoy solid garage rock with a sound reminiscent of acts like Pearl Jam, then please give it a listen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment