Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

October 21, 2009

The Demise of Split Screen Multiplayer



I was at a friend's place a little while ago, and decided to take the opportunity to play some of his Playstation 3 as I don't have one. He played a little Fat Princess, and then I did, but it got kind of boring playing online while the other person watched. So I asked if he had a second controller so we could play a game together. He took one out and started digging through the menus.

"Oh, I guess this doesn't have any local multiplayer" he said.

"Ugh, crap. Well, do you have a game that does?" I responded.

"Hmmm, Motorstorm does I think."

This excited me as I always thought that game looked good but hadn't ever played anything but the demo at Best Buy. However, he quickly realized that it also didn't have any local multiplayer. Not having much else to try, we went back to taking turns watching each other play Battlefield 1943 and Fat Princess.

Now, I won't defend everything about the Wii, but it seems to me Nintendo got some things right that Microsoft and Sony have forgotten. I don't own a PS3 or 360, so I couldn't tell you how much I would play online, but I can tell you that I've loved having the Wii for when people come over.

When family comes over for holidays, a friend stops by, or my sister-in-law's transatlantic boyfriend is in town, the Wii gets a lot of play. It makes me wonder how much a PS3 or 360 would get played when people were over, had I owned one.

Being a husband and a father sort of limits my gaming time. Personally, I think I would probably choose to spend that time playing single player games, or local multiplayer when guests are involved. Sure, I can't guarantee that, not having owned a system with adequate online support, but I have a pretty strong hunch it'd work out that way.

Are we slowly losing this element of social gaming interaction? In 10 years, will it be completely impossible to sit down with a group of friends for some game time?

Every time we have a family gathering with my wife's side of the family, I inevitably end up back at her cousin's house. Me, a couple of her cousins, their friends, and her Uncle end up playing Halo, Call of Duty or some other shooter for hours.

I'm terrible at First Person Shooters, but I'm still better then her Uncle and one of the cousins just given that I play games a lot. So it's a lot of fun to get together with everyone and play. When I get a PS3 or 360 though, I doubt that I will ever buy any of the new FPS games. With dwindling local multiplayer support, I'd most likely be left with only online, where I would get completely destroyed.

Obviously online has its benefits, and I would never say we should get rid of it, but I just wish that the industry wouldn't keep forgetting about local multiplayer. When my kids are old enough to play games with me, I want to be able to sit down and have trash talking matches with them. Is it going to come to the point that we will have to have 2 systems to play online while we're sitting right next to each other? I would hope not.


2 comments:

Jon said...

I was thinking about this the other day too as I was looking through my library for something to play with my step son. I have a ton of multiplayer games, but only 2 or 3 that feature local multiplayer. I fully expect us to be a two xbox household in a few years.

Also, I think the Wii excels in this area not so much because Nintendo tries to, but because they just don't have an online presence. The only serious multiplayer offering they can make is local.

Anonymous said...

The problem with split screen is that split screen works well with few genres. Racing games like Mario Kart tend to work best, but with FPSes and other genres, you're trying to have a decent match-up with half of the screen at your disposal. Online means no more cramped screens and thousands of opponents to face off against -- that's why gamers tend to prefer it.

Although, there is a case to be made for local multiplayer. Nothing is worse than trying to play with/against family or friends, only to discover that you can't. I was over my cousin's house recently and we were playing Halo 3: ODST's Firefight mode via split-screen. I know that the screen was cramped, but I'd rather have a cramped screen than no local multiplayer and no fun.

I don't remember where, but I had read an article some time ago about a kind of display technology being considered for future televisions that might make it possible for them to project multiple screens. The article could've been all speculation, but if the technology ever becomes reality, local multiplayer will surge in popularity again.

Unfortunately, though, until technology like this becomes available, we'll likely have to pickle (preserve) local multiplayer and save it for a future date.

Post a Comment