Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

October 02, 2009

September Music Wrap-Up


The Music Wrap-Up is a monthly summary of my favorite and other notable new releases. Please support these musicians as that's the reason I'm featuring them in the first place.


The Music Wrap-Up is going to have to go through some changes. I started it in the hopes that it would help more people discover music they hadn't heard of before. Simple, right? I'm sure I was technically doing something illegal by hosting the songs on a file sharing site in order to embed a player here for you all to enjoy, but it was all in the name of exposure.

I was trying to help out the bands I love. I wasn't putting anything up for download, just letting people listen to it. But leave it to record labels and file sharing sites to not understand that. First I was asked by a label to take down a song, which wasn't that big of a deal, but then I went to log into FileDen and my account had been shut down for breaking the user agreement.

So for now, the Music Wrap-Up is going to be run this way instead. I'll just let these random YouTube users handle all the copyright issue hassles. I would love to feature music from small and obscure bands like Paucity, a really great local band, but even if I write them and ask permission to put up their music FileDen will shut me down. So screw it. I'll just throw up links or something. It'll look a hell of a lot uglier but it'll have to do.





The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

One of those bands that I just had to check out when I heard the song 'Laundry Room' on All Songs Considered, and I immediately fell in love.


Polysics - Absolute

Absolutely ridiculous japanese crazy batshit. I think that's their genre. Sorry I had to post an actual video for them, I couldn't find just the music. It should help you get a better taste for their lunacy though.


Strung Out - Agents of the Underground

I don't follow Strung Out very closely, I just pop in to hear their newest release and then kind of forget about it. It usually always sounds good, but just about the same as ever. Still worth posting I guess.


Volcano Choir - Unmap

Justin Vernon's new band Volcano Choir is much less structured then his Bon Iver stuff. Great stuff to put on in the background and relax to though.


Amy Millan - Masters of the Burial

One of the reasons I love Stars so much is the dueling vocals of Amy Millan and Torq Campbell. Still, I really like Amy's last solo cd. I really haven't heard this new one, but I found a video for one of the songs. It's not that great of a song compared to her other stuff, but it'll have to do.


Star Fucking Hipsters - Never Rest in Peace

I can't decide if this band is a lot worse then Leftover Crack (Stza's primary project, at least at one point, and one of my favorite punk bands) or if I have just grown out of the music they make. I do like every new demo that Morning Glory comes out with though, so my money is on Ezra making the definitive next offshoot band. That is if he'd get around to actually releasing a cd.


State Radio

Once again, this is the only song I've heard from State Radio's new cd. Not having a computer or a record store within an hour of you kind of leaves you out of the music scene. Good song though. I'll have to get the cd at some point when I have that elusive beast known as an expendable income.


They Might Be Giants - Here Comes Science

Yes this is a kids record. I have a kid. Out of all of the terrible kids music I've been subjected to, They Might Be Giants handful of kids releases is the little bit of joy in the pile of annoying. If you have a kid, I recommend buying their kids cds, instead of whatever else might be polluting your car stereo on long trips.

1 comments:

Dan W Manhattan Ph.D said...

I can't believe strung out is still around. I used to listen to them back in middle school. still think they are pretty good though.

and state radio is pretty good. ive only heard their first album. I like Dispatch a lot better though

Post a Comment