Features

Laura Jane Grace Isn't Going to Ruin Against Me, She's Going to Reinvigorate Them
Morning Glory's Recent Tour Felt Like a Symbolic Farewell to Ezra Kire's Past, Invitation to his Future
Handling Hecklers with MC Chris: An Exploration in Putting Up With or Putting a Stop to Bullshit

Recent Reviews:  To the Moon | Huebrix | Minus the Bear | Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD | Awesomenauts | The Real McKenzies | Breton | Suzanne Ciani

Subscribe to our Podcasts: Sophist Radio | Unoriginal Soundtracks | Shuffled

May 20, 2009

Final Thoughts on Final Fantasy 3



I finally finished Final Fantasy 3, and thought I'd give more of my thoughts. I know, I realized later that there were fountains in most towns that revived fallen party members, and that later you get a revive spell anyway. That's sort of the problem though, that type of stuff should be something they tell you.


While most of the game wasn't as difficult as I initially thought it would be, toward the end it gets ridiculous. I swear I spent at least 10 hours at the final dungeon just leveling up to try to beat the last boss, or trying and failing and then having to trek all the way back to try again. In a game where the storyline is completely cookie cutter from most NES RPG's, there is little motivation to beat that sort of insanity.


My real motivation became the job system. While it was really frustrating at the end, it gave me a chance to try out new jobs for my characters, and I found that kind of fun. It made the whole situation more tolerable because it wasn't just that I had to make it to a higher level to beat the boss, it was the tweaking of my characters jobs to find the best team to fight her.


Ultimately I'd have rather been enjoying the job system in a game with a story I actually cared about. You have to give the game credit for nailing a fun system like that way back in the NES days though. I just wonder why SquareEnix didn't make this DS remake a tad easier, maybe by adding save points in the dungeons or something. It certainly would have taken away some frustration. Either way, I'm glad I finally beat it. I can add one more notch to my Final Fantasy belt and have a bit more of that strange sense of commitment to the series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment